Saturday 12 October 2013

I did it!

Still mostly in shock, but I did it! Didn't dare say anything sooner but it's finally real and hit me that it's real.

As of 30 September 2013 I have been registered on the MA by Research course at a rather good university in the Midlands :) *happy dance*

For a short while it looked like I wasn't going to be able to take up the offer, as I was originally registered to do the MRes, which has a small taught component, and my employers changed their minds about letting me have a day release (would have been doing 37 hours in 4 days instead of 5). My department have been awesome however and helped me to find a solution which turns out to be even better than the original plan!

So, I am studying part-time, meeting my tutor in school holidays when I can travel to her, or meeting via Skype otherwise. This is good!

I'm working on an analysis of wills from the Testamenta Eboracensia examining paternoster beads / rosaries (PN/R). Aim is to try to understand how the owners viewed the objects - as jewellery, a devotional object, to be left to men / women / children / servants / superiors? Yes, I have a lot of questions, but I'm hoping to continue this study into doctoral research, so I don't expect to answer even half at this stage.

Currently I'm working on a list of 21 wills which I know contain mentions of PN/R and logging basic data on a spreadsheet.

Next stages:

  • Decide how the data is going to be logged in Access (TGO will be writing it for me thankfully!)
  • Complete a literature review which can then be beaten into being an opening chapter
  • Work out what the chapter structure will be (no idea at present)
  • Arrange to got to York to view a few of the originals to see how faithful the TE transcriptions are to the originals
  • Decide if / how many wills other than my pre-selected 21 I will analyse for comparison.

Well, should keep me busy for the next few years at least! :)

Oh, and I'm off to Quadrivium IX too, which is pretty scary for me, as I'm still heavily in the Imposter stage of my academic life..

Anyways, back to data extraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment